American professional basketball player, Carmelo Anthony of New York Knicks while playing for U.S.A in the 2016 Olympics, became the 3rd all-time leading scorer on Team USA’s all-time Olympic scoring list.
The 32 year old basketball player passed U.S.A’s 3rd leading scorer, Michael Jordan. He was playing against Venezuela on Monday 8 August 2016,in Rio de Janeiro, Carioca Arena 1. With his three-pointer from the left wing at the 2:34 mark of the second quarter, the New York Knicks star surpassed Michael Jordan for third place on the USA’s all-time Olympics scoring list.
Anthony’s decision to take part in Olympic Games made him the first four-time men’s basketball Olympian. He finished with 14 points in Team USA’s 113-69 blowout. He eclipsed Jordan by two points (258 to 256).
U.S.A team made a slow start but in the end stood victorious by scoring 113-69.
Kevin Durant who gave 25 points to the team against China, performed equally well against Venezuela. He finished with 16 points while going 5-of-5 from the field.
Carmelo Anthony added 14 points and also passed Michael Jordan as the 3rd highest scorer in U.S.A team. This was a great milestone for the player for his career.
Not only did Kevin and Carmelo perform great, the other players performed to their full extent also. Paul George gave 20 points, Jimmy Butler gave 17 points and DeAndre Jordan gave 14 points and nine rebounds to the team, leading the team to victory. All the players played equal parts in the match.
Looking at the will and determination of the players and the awesome skills they displayed throughout the match, it was clear that Venezuela was overmatched.
Even though U.S.A was dominating, Venezuela made all efforts to counter their attempts with their determination. They were not willing to lose the match without a fight. 35-year-old John Cox tried his best and gave 19 points to the team. Former Creighton star Gregory Echenique scored 18 points and seven rebounds. Other players of Venezuela also gave their best performance and to the surprise of the spectators, they tied the match at 18 after the first quarter.
Despite Venezuela’s efforts, U.S.A did not let the opponents take the lead. Carmelo Anthony was on fire that day and did not miss any chance of taking a point for his team. U.S.A’s players made 54.5 percent of their shots from the field and 40.9 percent from three-point range.
Carmelo Anthony’s All Time Achievements
- Anthony could become the all-time leader. When the Americans face Australia on Wednesday which is also undefeated, Anthony will attempt to become the second and the first all-time scorer by leaving behind David Robinson who scored 270 points in three appearances and came in the second-place and LeBron James who scored 273 in three appearances and came in the first-place.
- Anthony entered the Rio Olympics with a scoring average of 10.4 points per game through three appearances LeBron James had a scoring average of 11.4 points per game and David Robinson had an average of 11.3.
- Anthony led the Orangemen to their first ever National Championship. He was declared the NCAA Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.
- He won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics, a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics and another gold medal at 2012 Olympics. In 2012, Anthony scored 37 points against Nigeria and set USA men’s Olympic team record for most points in a single game.
- Carmelo Anthony started off his professional career from Denver Nuggets. He played for Denver Nuggets from 2003 to 2011.